Updated: July 21, 2021
Purpose of this Notice
Categories of Information We May Collect and How We Collect It
We may collect information directly from you and from other sources to provide the products and services you have requested, to service your policy and to determine your eligibility for other products and services. We may collect the following categories of information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications, or other forms and other oral, written or electronic communications, such as your name, address, Social Security number, assets, income and medical information;
- Information about your transactions with us or others, such as transaction history, policy coverage, premiums, payment history and claims history;
- Information we receive from third parties, including consumer reporting agencies and persons providing services in connection with your transactions, such as credit reports, driving records and medical claims;
- Information collected from our Internet websites, such as information you provide to us and information necessary to manage your online session with us; and
- Information we obtain from health care providers about your past and current health condition.
Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
We do not disclose information about you to third parties, except as required or permitted by law. For example, in the course of our general business practices, we may disclose information contained in applications and other forms we collect, as previously described, to the following types of third parties for the reasons described:
- To a third party to perform a business, professional or insurance function for us;
- To an insurance company, agent, insurance support organization or self-insurer to detect or prevent fraud, criminal activity or misrepresentation in connection with an insurance transaction;
- To an insurance company, agent or insurance support organization to perform a function in connection with an insurance transaction involving you;
- To a medical care provider to verify coverage or benefits;
- To an insurance regulatory authority, law enforcement or other governmental authority to prevent or prosecute fraud, or if we believe you have conducted illegal activities; and
- To a group policyholder for the purpose of reporting claims experience.
In addition, where permitted by law, we may disclose the information we collect about you, as previously described, to other companies that perform marketing services on our behalf and to companies with which we have joint marketing agreements.
Disclosure of Medical Information
We will not use or share personally identifiable medical information with our affiliates or with third parties except for the purpose of underwriting or administering your insurance account, policy, or claim, and as otherwise required or permitted by law, such as disclosures to insurance regulatory authorities or in response to a subpoena. We do not use or share personally identifiable medical information for marketing purposes.
Notification of Your Right to Opt-Out of Certain Disclosures
If you prefer that we not disclose non-public personal information about you to non-affiliated third parties, you may opt out of those disclosures; that is, you may direct us not to make those disclosures (other than those disclosures that are expressly permitted by law).
If you wish to opt-out of such disclosures to non-affiliated third parties, you may call us at (319) 364-5193 or (800) 798-4080. We will provide you with a required signatory form. Unless you elect otherwise, your opt-out will pertain to all of the accounts we have on record for you.
Please note: If you are a new customer, we can begin sharing your information 30 days from the date we delivered this notice. If a time comes when you are no longer our customer, we will continue to share your information as described in this notice and pursuant to our record retention practices. However, you can contact us at any time to limit our sharing.
Our Security Procedures
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal guidelines to safeguard customer information. Our employees are bound by confidentiality agreements and policies to access customer information only for legitimate business purposes and to keep information about you confidential.
Other Privacy Protections
You may have other privacy protections under some state laws. We will comply with applicable state laws as to information about you. For example, certain state laws may require us to provide you with an additional notice.
- California, New Mexico, or North Dakota residents: You will be treated as if you opted out of joint marketing arrangements.
- Vermont residents: You will be treated as if you opted out of sharing of information among all TrueNorth Companies and opted out of joint marketing arrangements.
- Maine residents: You have the right to know the reasons for an adverse underwriting decision. Previous adverse underwriting decisions may not be used as the basis for subsequent underwriting decisions unless the carrier makes an independent evaluation of the underlying facts. You also have the right, with very narrow exceptions, not to be subjected to pretext interviews.
- CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: If you are a resident of California, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit Information for Californian Consumers.
Please be advised that the insurance companies that issue your policies may have personal information about you. This Notice does not govern their use of information about you. You should review the privacy notices of your insurance providers to understand how they collect, use, and disclose information.
Reservation of the Right to Disclose Information in Unforeseen Circumstances
We will continue to maintain our dedication to protecting your privacy. If you have questions concerning, our privacy practices or wish to access or amend your information, please call us at (800) 798-4080.