Handling Home Insurance Claims with Ease
If you’ve had a fire, water damage or another unfortunate event in your home, don’t worry. Our team has all the information that you need to get your claim underway so you can get your life back to normal.
When you have a homeowners insurance claim, your actions can make all the difference.
Here’s how to maneuver through the claims process with ease:
- If you were away from your home when the incident occurred, exercise caution when entering your property. If your property has sustained major damage, contact your local government officials to determine how you should proceed.
- Report downed power lines to the utility company, and keep your electricity off if there is standing water in your home.
- If it appears as though it is not safe to be at your home, leave.
- Contact TrueNorth to report how, when and where the damage occurred. Make a note of the claim handler’s name, telephone number and identification number when you call.
- Protect your home from further damage without putting yourself in danger. This may include boarding up windows and salvaging possessions that did not sustain much damage. Your claim handler can advise you on how to do so safely.
- Prepare a list of damaged or lost items from your home.
- Keep damaged items in your home until the claim handler has come for an inspection. Also, consider documenting the damage with pictures or video.
- Provide receipts for damaged items if you saved them.
- If you need to temporarily relocate, save all your receipts for additional expenses. Your policy may cover you for additional living expenses during this time.
- Contact your mortgage lender to notify them of your loss and to discuss potential contractor bids. Your lender may want to inspect a contractor’s job before making a final payment.
TrueNorth is here to help you throughout the process—contact us today if you have questions or concerns.
This publication has been prepared by TrueNorth Companies, L.C. and is intended for informational purposes only. Transmission of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a client relationship with TrueNorth Companies, L.C. This publication does not constitute any type of representation or warranty, and does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice. This publication is not a contract and does not amend, modify or change any insurance policy you may have with an insurance carrier. © 2022 TrueNorth Companies, L.C. All rights reserved.
In addition to helpful weekly guidance on home and auto, TrueNorth provides a number of insurance options to protect your family from risk. For information on a home or auto quote, visit www.iTrueNorth.com or call us at (319) 739-1277. We'd like nothing more than to help safeguard the things that matter most to you.
Obtain a quote on home or auto
Learn more about TrueNorth Risk Management
... read more about author