Winter Home Maintenance
Winter is a beautiful time of year, but winter weather can wreak havoc on your home.
By taking the time to maintain your home each season, you can keep common household problems at bay, and prevent costly breakdowns or repairs.
You'll save money in the long run by preventing costly (and potentially dangerous) damage to your home.
- Stop the drafts. Repair caulking around doors and windows, along with any weather stripping. In addition, seal any cracks in foundation walls.
- Check your fileplace & chimney. Have a chimney sweep check your chimney for any debris or cracks, and clean your fireplace.
- Clean heating vents. Be sure your vent pipes are clear of any obstructions and clear away any dust and debris.
- Prevent ice dams. Clean your roof and gutters of slush after heavy snowstorms to prevent ice damming.
- Stop slippery surfaces. Purchase salt, ice melt or sand before the snow falls. If you have pets, be sure to use pet-safe materials.
- Keep entryways clean. To prevent slippery indoor surfaces, use mats and boot trays for wet shoes and boots. Place a tray underneath clothing hooks when drying wet items.
- Pack a winter emergency kit. Prepare a kit that includes bottled water, nonperishable food, flashlights, first-aid supplies, batteries, a smart phone charger and a blanket in case of an emergency.
- Check for leaks. Check your attic and crawlspace for signs of a water leak. Be sure to repair any leaks as soon as possible.
- Protect your air conditioner. Place a sheet of plywood with a few bricks on top of your AC to prevent falling icicles and debris from damaging your condensing unit. Also, remove and store any window air conditioner units.
- Turn off outside water. Turn off the water supply to outside faucets to prevent broken pipes.
Our Personal Lines Specialists are available to chat through any home maintenance tips with you! Reach out to your representative today.
Don't have home insurance with us? Requesting coverage is simple:
This publication has been prepared by TrueNorth Companies, L.C. and is intended for informational purposes only. Transmission of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a client relationship with TrueNorth Companies, L.C. This publication does not constitute any type of representation or warranty, and does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice. This publication is not a contract and does not amend, modify or change any insurance policy you may have with an insurance carrier. © 2022 TrueNorth Companies, L.C. All rights reserved.
In addition to helpful weekly guidance on home and auto, TrueNorth provides a number of insurance options to protect your family from risk. For information on a home or auto quote, visit www.iTrueNorth.com or call us at (319) 739-1277. We'd like nothing more than to help safeguard the things that matter most to you.
Obtain a quote on home or auto
Learn more about TrueNorth Risk Management
... read more about author