Beware of Phishing!
Every day, more than 3 billion phishing emails are sent out worldwide. These emails are tactics used by scammers to trick you into giving up sensitive information about you or your company.
Here are 8 tips to avoid email phishing scams:
- Verify the sender’s email address. Scammers may pretend to be your bank, a colleague, or even a family member. Check any previous conversations with the sender to verify the email address.
- Look for spelling errors. Various spelling or grammatical errors within an email can indicate fraudulent activity.
- Never give out sensitive information. Most legitimate companies will avoid asking for personal information via email.
- Be wary of urgent messages. People are more likely to give up sensitive information when pressured by a sense of urgency.
- Call to verify requests. If you are skeptical of any requests made in an email, call the source directly to verify.
- Avoid opening unsolicited attachments. Attachments can be embedded with malware – if opened, malware can steal sensitive information by gaining access to your computer or network.
- Verify hyperlinks. Before opening a hyperlink, hover over the link text to verify the linked web address.
- Contact IT or security teams. If you’re unsure of an email’s validity, report it to your IT department or security team to have them check for fraudulent activity.
If you’d like to discuss how you can protect your company from a potential cyber breach, reach out to us today.
This publication has been prepared by TrueNorth Companies, L.C. and is intended for informational purposes only. Transmission of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a client relationship with TrueNorth Companies, L.C. This publication does not constitute any type of representation or warranty, and does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice. This publication is not a contract and does not amend, modify or change any insurance policy you may have with an insurance carrier. © 2022 TrueNorth Companies, L.C. All rights reserved.
In addition to helpful weekly guidance on home and auto, TrueNorth provides a number of insurance options to protect your family from risk. For information on a home or auto quote, visit www.iTrueNorth.com or call us at (319) 739-1277. We'd like nothing more than to help safeguard the things that matter most to you.
Obtain a quote on home or auto
Learn more about TrueNorth Risk Management
... read more about author