Flood Preparation for your Business
According to the U.S. government, the average commercial flood claim is around $89,000.
A general policy typically does NOT cover flood damage, leaving you on the hook to cover those costs on your own if you aren’t properly protected.
Flooding poses a substantial threat to businesses, and Flood insurance is the ultimate preparation. In addition to purchasing proper coverage, these things will help keep your business safe in the unfortunate event of a flood:
- Build an emergency kit and make a business communication plan
- Be prepared with useful phone #’s such as your local government and TrueNorth!
- Learn how to shut off your gas, electricity & water
- Develop a flood continuity plan with suppliers & clients in mind
- Designate an emergency flood contact
- Train your employees in correct flood safety procedures and establish a safe meeting place in case you are evacuated
Create a Flood Plan
A flood plan is a written document outlining how your business will respond to a flood. Store your business’ flood plan in an easily accessible location—everyone should know where it is at all times. All flood plans should include the following:
- A list of important contact information and any additional flood warning systems, building services, suppliers and evacuation contacts
- A map showing locations of supplies, protective materials and shut-off points
- An outline of basic strategies for protecting property, ensuring health and safety, minimizing business disruption and facilitating recovery
- Procedural checklists for staff to use during a flood
- Review and update your plan annually. Flood risks and procedures can change, so make sure your business is prepared.
Flood insurance is the ultimate preparation for your business. Check your commercial coverage to make sure you are covered for flood damage. Flooding poses a substantial—and sometimes ruinous—threat to businesses in the United States. The insurance professionals at TrueNorth are poised to help fortify your property.
Rely on us to provide more flood preparation materials and help keep your business from going under.
This publication has been prepared by TrueNorth Companies, L.C. and is intended for informational purposes only. Transmission of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a client relationship with TrueNorth Companies, L.C. This publication does not constitute any type of representation or warranty, and does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice. This publication is not a contract and does not amend, modify or change any insurance policy you may have with an insurance carrier. © 2022 TrueNorth Companies, L.C. All rights reserved.
In addition to helpful weekly guidance on home and auto, TrueNorth provides a number of insurance options to protect your family from risk. For information on a home or auto quote, visit www.iTrueNorth.com or call us at (319) 739-1277. We'd like nothing more than to help safeguard the things that matter most to you.
Obtain a quote on home or auto
Learn more about TrueNorth Risk Management
... read more about author