Safety Precautions for Extreme Weather
Extreme Driving Condition Tips
Rain and Thunderstorms:
- Turn on your headlights, wipers and defroster to increase visibility.
- Drive in the tracks of the vehicle ahead of you and reduce your speed.
- Allow for increased space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- If you hydroplane, hold the steering wheel straight and remove your foot from the gas.
- Pull off the road in an open area away from trees to avoid a lightning strike.
- If you are driving in a tornado, get out of your vehicle and find shelter. If there is not a building nearby, lie in a ditch and place your arms over your head.
Snow, Sleet and Freezing Rain:
- Clean ice and snow off your windows, hood and truck before departing.
- Drive with extreme caution and at reduced speeds.
- Do not brake quickly as you may spin out of control.
- If you get stuck in the snow, straighten your wheels and accelerate at a slow pace.
- It is very important that you allow for extra room between your vehicle and the one in front of you because you will need 12 times the amount of stopping distance that you normally need without any precipitation.
- Slow down before you reach a patch of fog in front of you.
- Use only your low beams or fog lights and put on your defroster and wipers to increase visibility.
- If the fog is extremely thick, roll down all of your windows to hear the other vehicles around you.
- If you cannot see the road's edge, pull off to the shoulder on your right and put on your emergency flashers. Do not start driving again until you can see the cars in front of you.
Helping you to avoid claims is just one of the many value-added auto insurance services we provide. Call us today to learn more about all of our personal risk management solutions for your auto, home and life.
Protection for your home and family.
You can count on TrueNorth for all your home matters. Get your coverage through TrueNorth so you can rest assured that the things and people you love are protected and accounted for. Call us at 319-364-5193, and a personal insurance agent will gladly look over your plan.