Charitable Giving: Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity
TrueNorth's charitable cause for the month of June is the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity, a housing contractor and local organization that provides housing assistance and sponsors community organization throughout the Cedar Rapids area.
About Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity:
Since the organization's founding in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller, Habitat for Humanity International has built and rehabilitated more than 800,000 homes, helping millions of families find and embrace affordable living quarters. On a local level, Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity (CVHFH) was founded in 1988 and since its beginnings has rehabilitated more than 130 homes. This year, the organization plans to assist 20 families through a combination of new construction, home rehabilitations, and exterior painting and repair projects.
CVHFH is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing locally and boasts an open-door policy: "all who believe that everyone needs a decent, affordable place to live are welcome to help with the work, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, political views or any of the other distinctions that too often divide people." If you feel inclined to join a project, please visit their social media sites. Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity can be found on Twitter at @CVHHinfo and via Facebook.
How TrueNorth Plans to Help:
- Last weekend, TrueNorth participated in A Brush with Kindness, a program sponsored by CVHFH that helps low-income homeowners by offering exterior home improvements. Volunteer teams from TrueNorth worked through Saturday afternoon painting a home - all at minimal cost to the homeowner who would have been unable to complete these home repairs on her own.
- Yesterday, TN Wealth Management and our Financial Strategies division teamed up to host a building-wide bake sale and raised nearly $250 - all of which will benefit the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity.
- As always, you can count on seeing the TrueNorth team sporting denim the last Wednesday in June, as the office will be partaking in our "Casual for a Cause" day. All proceeds collected from denim-wearing employees will benefit CVHFH.
- TrueNorth is also sponsoring an internal Habitat for Humanity tool sale where employees can purchase tape measures, levels, wrenches, etc. All proceeds benefit the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity.
How You Can Help:
There are many ways that you can particpate in projects sponsored by the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity.
- Do you know someone in need of housing assitance? Refer them to the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity. Find out more at this link.
- CVHFH is always in need of volunteers. Learn more about ways that you or your organization can help throughout the coming year at their website. The website also hosts a schedule of upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
- Visit the Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore. All proceeds from your purchase will benefit and sponsor Habitat for Humanity's projects and endeavors. Visit the ReStore website for more information.