Charitable Giving: Boys & Girls Clubs
TrueNorth's charitable cause for the month of July is the Boys & Girls Club of Cedar Rapids, a local organization and member chapter of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. The organization offers youth "a safe place to learn and grow - all while having fun."
About the Boys & Girls Clubs:
According to the organization's national website, the Boys & Girls Clubs were founded by Alice Goodwin and Elizabeth Hammersley in Hartford Connecticut in 1860 as a means to provide a more positive alternative than the inner-city streets for young boys to socialize and interact with each other. It wasn't long before several other Boys Clubs decided to affiliate with the Hartford organization, sparking a nationwide movement that formed the organization we know today.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of America are founded on the premise of increasing character development for young people in an effort to promote "their development toward a successful, productive future."
Some facts about our Cedar Rapids Boys & Girls Clubs:
- The organization serves on average, 300 youth daily
- 61% of Boys & Girls Clubs members live in a household with an annual salary of >$25,000
- 51% of these members belong to single-parent families
- Nearly 20% do not live with a biological parent, but rather with foster parent(s), grandparent(s) or other relative(s).
Statistics via the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cedar Rapids website.
How TrueNorth Plans to Help:
- Yesterday, the Primary, Fleet, and Claims departments of TrueNorth's Transportation Division teamed up to host a building-wide bake sale and raised nearly $200 - all of which will benefit the Cedar Rapids Boys & Girls Clubs.
- Later on this month, TrueNorth staff will have the opportunity to guess the number of swedish fish and gummy worms in exchange for a dollar donation to the Cedar Rapids Boys & Girls Club.
- As always, you can count on seeing the TrueNorth team sporting denim the last Wednesday in July, as the office will be partaking in our "Casual for a Cause" day. All proceeds collected from denim-wearing employees will benefit The Boys & Girls Clubs.
How You Can Help:
Regardless of your location, there are many ways that you can assist the young members of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
- Become a volunteer: share your talent and help the community's youth by volunteering your time. Applications for the Cedar Rapids Boys & Girls club can be found at this link on their website.
- Become a member: if you or someone you know is in need of the Boys and Girls Clubs' daily services and programs, apply at this link. Registration forms can be submitted to the Boys and Girls Clubs' Unit Director at 420 6th St SE, Suite 240. You will be notified if space is available.
- Donate: donations to the Boys & Girls Clubs are always welcome and appreciated. You can donate locally or contribute to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America's Great Futures campaign.