Top 10 Ways to Control Your EMR
Your Experience Modification Factor, (Mod or EMR), is an important component used in calculating your workers’ compensation premium.
If you can control your mod, you can lower your price — so we’ve gathered top tips to help you impact your bottom line.
- Investigate accidents immediately and thoroughly; take corrective action to eliminate hazards, and be aware of fraud.
- Report all claims to your carrier immediately. Alert the carrier to any serious, potentially serious or suspect claims. Frequently monitor the status of the claim, and communicate with the adjuster to resolve them as quickly as possible.
- Take an aggressive approach to providing light duty to all injured employees upon their release from treatment. Supervise light duty employees to ensure their conformance with restrictions.
- In serious cases that involve lost time, communicate with the claims adjuster to demonstrate your interest in returning the injured employee back to gainful employment.
- Direct care to occupational health providers. They understand work-related injuries and can assist in returning employees back to work on light duty. Make safety a value, not a priority!
- Develop a written safety program, and train employees in their responsibilities for safety. Incorporate a disciplinary policy into the program that holds employees accountable for breaking rules or rewards them for correctly following safety procedures.
- Frequently communicate with employees, both formally and informally, regarding the importance of safety.
- Make safety a priority – senior management must be visible in the safety effort and must support improvement.
- Evaluate accident history and near-misses at least monthly. Look for trends in experience, and take corrective action on the worst problems first.
- Hire TrueNorth to ensure success.
Our team of Safety & Loss control experts would love to talk through your Safety plan with you.
Reach out to us today:
This publication has been prepared by TrueNorth Companies, L.C. and is intended for informational purposes only. Transmission of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a client relationship with TrueNorth Companies, L.C. This publication does not constitute any type of representation or warranty, and does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice. This publication is not a contract and does not amend, modify or change any insurance policy you may have with an insurance carrier. © 2022 TrueNorth Companies, L.C. All rights reserved.
In addition to helpful weekly guidance on home and auto, TrueNorth provides a number of insurance options to protect your family from risk. For information on a home or auto quote, visit www.iTrueNorth.com or call us at (319) 739-1277. We'd like nothing more than to help safeguard the things that matter most to you.
Obtain a quote on home or auto
Learn more about TrueNorth Risk Management
... read more about author