Whether you're in full-out hibernation mode or stressed out and busy from the holidays, your exercise routine might be one of the first casualties of the season. However, continuing your workouts throughout winter will help you stay energetic and healthy during the colder months of the year, and exercise might enable you to stave off that dreaded holiday weight gain. Lack of motivation, limited time and drab weather can all work against your attempts at getting sufficient exercise - whatever your reason, use some of the following tips to get moving this winter.
No motivation. The holidays are busy, and winter brings fewer daylight hours and colder temperatures. Here are a few options for rekindling your interest in exercise:
- Mix up your routine; if you usually run, try weightlifting or taking a dance class.
- Find a new winter sport that interests you and take a class or join a club.
- If using the gym equipment at home, put a TV in front of the treadmill.
- Phone a friend - sometimes, a little company is all you need to get moving.
- If you have children, take them sledding or help them build a snow fort; wearing extra clothes and trudging through snow burns more calories than you might think!
Limited time. If you're busy with holiday preparation and parties, sometimes you need a quick, unscheduled workout idea. Here are a few options:
- Jump rope - this activity is not just for kids, as jumping rope can be a great way to get your heart rate up in just a few minutes.
- Lift weights in the kitchen - use cans, milk jugs or whatever is convenient in order to fit in a few bicep curls while you make dinner or organize the pantry.
Cold and wet weather. Whether you live in a snow-steeped area of the country or you suffer from drizzly weather and grey skies, going for a run isn't as simple as it is during the summer. If you're determined to brave the elements, try these tips for a safe workout:
- Do a quick warm-up inside, such as jogging in place or doing jumping jacks.
- Dress in layers that you can peel off and tie around your waist as you go.
- Wear gloves and a headband or hat to help protect against frostbite.
Cold weather and busy holidays don't have to be an insurmountable obstacle for fitting in a workout. If you keep exercising during the holiday season, you'll feel better, stay healthier and be able to justify that extra dessert.
TrueNorth is here for you every step of the way
Get your coverage through TrueNorth so you can rest assured that the things and people you love are protected and accounted for. Visit us here and a personal insurance agent will gladly look over your plan. Find out more about our personal solutions and obtain a quote for home and auto insurance at www.iTrueNorth.com.
TrueNorth offers businesses of every size comprehensive solutions to meet their business needs and those of their employees. If you are in need of business solutions and are looking for ways to protect and maximize your workforce, look to TrueNorth. Our Employee Benefits Division can assist you in providing for the well-being of both you and your staff. Call us today at 1-800-798-4080.
... read more about author