TN Truck Thought Podcast Episode 15
Listen to our latest episode now!
Beyond Compliance - Because Truck Safety Is More Than Just Following Regulations.
The concept of Beyond Compliance in the realm of safety has emerged as a perspective that goes beyond merely following existing rules. Initially called for in response to identified shortcomings of the Compliance Safety Accountability Program, the concept aligns with a prevailing shift in the perception that safety extends beyond regulatory compliance. An analysis of submissions to a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) request for comments on the proposal revealed:
- 51% of respondents supported the Beyond Compliance concept. These were mainly from large associations and motor carriers.
- 28% of respondents opposed the Beyond Compliance concept. These were mostly smaller motor carriers.
- 21% had no opinion on the Beyond Compliance concept.
In the FAST Act, signed into law in 2015, Congress instructed the FMCSA to establish the Beyond Compliance Program. The Beyond Compliance program, implemented in various regions globally, reflects a recognition that safety measures should not solely be confined to regulatory mandates. The implementation of the Beyond Compliance Program is in the process of refinement and adjustment to best align with the specific needs and preferences of the community it aims to serve.
Industry specialists featured in this discussion:
- Host, Sean Garney, Co-Director at Scopelitis Transportation Consulting
- Co-Host, Steve Keppler, Co-Director at Scopelities Transportation Consulting
- Guest, John Biblis, Senior Safety and Loss Control Specialist at TrueNorth Companies
About the TN Truck Thought Podcast
The TN Truck Thought podcast keeps transportation leaders of today and tomorrow in the know on the hottest industry trends. Our specialists get to the bottom of challenging, and sometimes controversial, transportation topics to offer insight and predictions.
The TN Truck Thought podcast is hosted by Sean Garney of Scopelitis Transportation Consulting and produced by TrueNorth Companies.
Become a TN Truck Thought insider! You'll be the first to hear when new episodes drop.
TrueNorth has more than 120 dedicated transportation staff, with deep specialization to each facet in the industry. Our solutions beyond the insurance policy help transportation companies reduce risk in new, innovative ways. Learn more about the solutions we offer here or call us at (800) 798-4080.
... read more about author